Posted on 04-12-2014
I have been using 3Scale API Infrastructure to manage API Evangelis's public APIs for almost two years now. My APIs provide access to my blog posts, news I curate, and the tools I track on. I also use the same infrastructure to secure and manage various projects I work on. You can view a list of my APi deployments on my API account management home page.
In reality I haven't been all that serious about the management of my APIs until now. I have enough content I’d like to make available via APIs, and I have a growing number of new APIs, some of which I'd like to make available for a fee, and see if I can’t generate some new revenue streams off my research.
Until now I've been on the 3Scale base plan, which is free and allows for 150,000 API transactions a day, and all the API management tools I needed to get going. This has been plenty for me to get my APIs established, but now I’d like to be able to generate more API transactions, as well as be able to bill for API usage if I choose.
With this in mind I've finally upgraded beyond the basic 3Scale plan to the plus plan, which at $125.00 / month gives me up to 250,000 calls a day, and the ability to charge for access to select APIs, opening up the possiblity to generate revenue on some of my content and programmatic resources.
The ability to sign up, deploy and management my APIs until I found my way, has been essential to me getting to this point. I would not have been able to play with different configurations of access to my APIs, without 3Scale. This ability to on-board into the world of APIs, experiment and iterate, before having to pay a monthly fee is essential to many companies figuring out what this whole API thing is about.
I’m pretty excited about taking some of my API ideas to the next level, and play with different ways to access my API driven resources, while being able to tell the story publicly, as I do with all of my API research.
Disclosure: 3Scale is an API Evangelist partner, but I pay for my own 3Scale account just like any other customer.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate