Posted on 04-15-2014
I'm increasing my coverage of hypermedia APIs in 2014, as we move from discussion to concrete hypermedia implementations in the wild. In support of this, there was a quick conversation on Twitter today regarding some good examples of hypermedia APIs, that I wanted to share with you.
Providing some much needed examples of hypermedia APIs in the wild. I haven't looked at the details of each implementation, but I trust Darrel's opinion, and will take a deeper look under the hood when I have more time.
It is nice to have three clear examples of hypermedia APIs to showcase:
A hypermedia example from the world of commerce, providing an example that fits nicely into the API economy.
An interesting approach to using hypermedia APIs for discovering and managing your family history.
An enteprise example of hypermdia APIs from the content collaboration platform huddle.
|Amazon AppStream REST API
The Amazon AppStream web service provides APIs you can call to manage applications hosted on Amazon AppStream and to manage client sessions connecting to those applications.
Search, reimagined for a world that's moved beyond text.
|Amazon Lync Web Developer
Microsoft’s Unified Communications Web API (UCWA) is the Next Generation Platform for Mobile and Web Development.
|PayPal REST API
One of the key features of the PayPal REST API is HATEOAS (Hypertext As The Engine Of Application State).
VerticalResponse's API generally follows the REST model, based on the principles behind HTTP.
I'll keep tracking on other examples of hypermdia APIs in the wild, and see if we can't begin shedding light on some of the better implementations out there, and see about getting some of these providers to discuss their API developer strategies at @APIStrat or @APIdaysGlobal. If you know of any other examples, please let me know.
UPDATED: 04/17/2014 I added Amazon AppStream REST API, suggested in the Twitter stream by @zdne of @apiaryio.
UPDATED: 04/18/2014 I added OP3Nvoice and Lync Web Developer suggested in the Twitter stream by @darrel_miller.
UPDATED: 05/01/2014 I added Paypal Developer suggested by Pedros Santos on API Craft.
UPDATED: 05/01/2014 I added VerticalResponse suggested by Rob Zazueta (@rzazueta) on API Craft.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs
- Applying APIs.json To API Discovery In The Federal Government
- The Power In API Discovery For APIs.json Will Be In The API URL Type
- Fixing The Machine Readability in API Commons
- Evolving How We Approach The API Lifecycle With APIMatic
- APIs Can Open Up Your Company To Outside Ideas
- APIs Are Often Just A Facade That Is Covering Up The Legacy View Of World
- A Mobile Developer Toolkit With The University Of Michigan APIs
- Kicking Off Image Manipulation API Work