Posted on 04-15-2014
I'm increasing my coverage of hypermedia APIs in 2014, as we move from discussion to concrete hypermedia implementations in the wild. In support of this, there was a quick conversation on Twitter today regarding some good examples of hypermedia APIs, that I wanted to share with you.
Providing some much needed examples of hypermedia APIs in the wild. I haven't looked at the details of each implementation, but I trust Darrel's opinion, and will take a deeper look under the hood when I have more time.
It is nice to have three clear examples of hypermedia APIs to showcase:
A hypermedia example from the world of commerce, providing an example that fits nicely into the API economy.
An interesting approach to using hypermedia APIs for discovering and managing your family history.
An enteprise example of hypermdia APIs from the content collaboration platform huddle.
|Amazon AppStream REST API
The Amazon AppStream web service provides APIs you can call to manage applications hosted on Amazon AppStream and to manage client sessions connecting to those applications.
Search, reimagined for a world that's moved beyond text.
|Amazon Lync Web Developer
Microsoft’s Unified Communications Web API (UCWA) is the Next Generation Platform for Mobile and Web Development.
|PayPal REST API
One of the key features of the PayPal REST API is HATEOAS (Hypertext As The Engine Of Application State).
VerticalResponse's API generally follows the REST model, based on the principles behind HTTP.
I'll keep tracking on other examples of hypermdia APIs in the wild, and see if we can't begin shedding light on some of the better implementations out there, and see about getting some of these providers to discuss their API developer strategies at @APIStrat or @APIdaysGlobal. If you know of any other examples, please let me know.
UPDATED: 04/17/2014 I added Amazon AppStream REST API, suggested in the Twitter stream by @zdne of @apiaryio.
UPDATED: 04/18/2014 I added OP3Nvoice and Lync Web Developer suggested in the Twitter stream by @darrel_miller.
UPDATED: 05/01/2014 I added Paypal Developer suggested by Pedros Santos on API Craft.
UPDATED: 05/01/2014 I added VerticalResponse suggested by Rob Zazueta (@rzazueta) on API Craft.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet