Posted on 04-15-2014
I'm increasing my coverage of hypermedia APIs in 2014, as we move from discussion to concrete hypermedia implementations in the wild. In support of this, there was a quick conversation on Twitter today regarding some good examples of hypermedia APIs, that I wanted to share with you.
Providing some much needed examples of hypermedia APIs in the wild. I haven't looked at the details of each implementation, but I trust Darrel's opinion, and will take a deeper look under the hood when I have more time.
It is nice to have three clear examples of hypermedia APIs to showcase:
A hypermedia example from the world of commerce, providing an example that fits nicely into the API economy.
An interesting approach to using hypermedia APIs for discovering and managing your family history.
An enteprise example of hypermdia APIs from the content collaboration platform huddle.
|Amazon AppStream REST API
The Amazon AppStream web service provides APIs you can call to manage applications hosted on Amazon AppStream and to manage client sessions connecting to those applications.
Search, reimagined for a world that's moved beyond text.
|Amazon Lync Web Developer
Microsoft’s Unified Communications Web API (UCWA) is the Next Generation Platform for Mobile and Web Development.
|PayPal REST API
One of the key features of the PayPal REST API is HATEOAS (Hypertext As The Engine Of Application State).
VerticalResponse's API generally follows the REST model, based on the principles behind HTTP.
I'll keep tracking on other examples of hypermdia APIs in the wild, and see if we can't begin shedding light on some of the better implementations out there, and see about getting some of these providers to discuss their API developer strategies at @APIStrat or @APIdaysGlobal. If you know of any other examples, please let me know.
UPDATED: 04/17/2014 I added Amazon AppStream REST API, suggested in the Twitter stream by @zdne of @apiaryio.
UPDATED: 04/18/2014 I added OP3Nvoice and Lync Web Developer suggested in the Twitter stream by @darrel_miller.
UPDATED: 05/01/2014 I added Paypal Developer suggested by Pedros Santos on API Craft.
UPDATED: 05/01/2014 I added VerticalResponse suggested by Rob Zazueta (@rzazueta) on API Craft.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format
- How Are Mobile Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Dave Devitt At SYDCON
- An API Case Study Format From Google Cloud Platform