Posted on 05-23-2014
I’m still gathering my thoughts from the deep technical conversations that occurred on Tuesday at the Gluecon APIStrat Un-Workshops in Colorado. Before the official Gluecon festivities kicked off, 3Scale and API Evangelist held a 5 hour un-workshop where approximately 70 API professionals gathered to discuss some of the most pressing topics in the API space.
Internet of Things
One of the fastest growing areas of the API design and deployment, is in support of the Internet of things (IoT). During the IoT portion we had some interesting conversation around how APIs enable communication in Iot world, including some heated discussion about whether or not HTTP will scale and handle the fast growing Iot space.
One of the hot topics proposed within the API design un-workshop was API versioning, which I thought would be a technical dive into versioning, but ended up being more of the human side of versioning, and communicating with your API consumers—clearly setting expectations around the how and why of API versioning.
Dovetailing nicely with the Iot discussion, there was a very enlightening discussion around real-time, which covered one of the most fundamental issues of real-time—what is it? As with the API versioning discussion, the conversation took gave a nod to the human side of tech, acknowledging real-time was more about expectations of end-users and providers, than about technology.
As expected the topic of API copyright was a major part of the discussion, not just at the APIStart Un-workshops, but also the wider Gluecon. A group of us walked through the legal case, where everything stands with API Commons, and how we can best take the offensive attack on the issue as a community, which includes educating more API providers, consumers and business owners.
API Design & Discovery
Emphasizing the importance of the release of APIs.json and APIs.io, and the conversations around API Commons, a portion of the API design workshop walked through the available API definition formats, and ultimately how APIs are discovered. The conversation went beyond classic API directories, and the newer approaches to search introduced by APIs.io, and discussed IDE integration for API discovery, as well as in the Internet of Things—again showing the overlap of all the areas of discussion at APIStrat Un-workshops.
The APIStrat Un-workshops were broken into two main groups, API design and Internet of things, while each of the un-workshops started with lightning talks from relative providers, the rest of the un-workshops were just open conversations around a table between all participants—making them very organic discussions.
If you didn’t get a chance to participate at Gluecon, the conversations will continue online with blot posts from each of the group leaders in the discussions on API Evangelist, as well as at API Strategy & Practice, where we will be structuring sessions, panels and more workshops to keep the dialogue going.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My Discussion Today With 6 Hypermedia Leaders At API-Craft in Detroit
- Getting To Know Jørn Wildt For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Hypermedia Feels Like We Are Still Learning To Communicate With APIs
- Getting To Know Markus Lanthaler For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Kevin Swiber For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Steve Klabnik For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- New Indix API KickStart Program Reduces Costs For Developers
- Getting To Know Mike Kelly For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- A Shared, Distributed Experience(Metrics) Layer For The API Driven Application Stack
- Showcasing Your API Integrations With Other Platforms
- Increasing The Focus On APIs In Higher Education Is Important
- Getting To Know Mike Amundsen For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Models For API Driven Startups Built Around Public Data
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18F's, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract