Posted on 05-23-2014
I’m still gathering my thoughts from the deep technical conversations that occurred on Tuesday at the Gluecon APIStrat Un-Workshops in Colorado. Before the official Gluecon festivities kicked off, 3Scale and API Evangelist held a 5 hour un-workshop where approximately 70 API professionals gathered to discuss some of the most pressing topics in the API space.
Internet of Things
One of the fastest growing areas of the API design and deployment, is in support of the Internet of things (IoT). During the IoT portion we had some interesting conversation around how APIs enable communication in Iot world, including some heated discussion about whether or not HTTP will scale and handle the fast growing Iot space.
One of the hot topics proposed within the API design un-workshop was API versioning, which I thought would be a technical dive into versioning, but ended up being more of the human side of versioning, and communicating with your API consumers—clearly setting expectations around the how and why of API versioning.
Dovetailing nicely with the Iot discussion, there was a very enlightening discussion around real-time, which covered one of the most fundamental issues of real-time—what is it? As with the API versioning discussion, the conversation took gave a nod to the human side of tech, acknowledging real-time was more about expectations of end-users and providers, than about technology.
As expected the topic of API copyright was a major part of the discussion, not just at the APIStart Un-workshops, but also the wider Gluecon. A group of us walked through the legal case, where everything stands with API Commons, and how we can best take the offensive attack on the issue as a community, which includes educating more API providers, consumers and business owners.
API Design & Discovery
Emphasizing the importance of the release of APIs.json and APIs.io, and the conversations around API Commons, a portion of the API design workshop walked through the available API definition formats, and ultimately how APIs are discovered. The conversation went beyond classic API directories, and the newer approaches to search introduced by APIs.io, and discussed IDE integration for API discovery, as well as in the Internet of Things—again showing the overlap of all the areas of discussion at APIStrat Un-workshops.
The APIStrat Un-workshops were broken into two main groups, API design and Internet of things, while each of the un-workshops started with lightning talks from relative providers, the rest of the un-workshops were just open conversations around a table between all participants—making them very organic discussions.
If you didn’t get a chance to participate at Gluecon, the conversations will continue online with blot posts from each of the group leaders in the discussions on API Evangelist, as well as at API Strategy & Practice, where we will be structuring sessions, panels and more workshops to keep the dialogue going.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format
- How Are Mobile Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Dave Devitt At SYDCON
- An API Case Study Format From Google Cloud Platform
- Next Stable Version of APIs.json + APIs.io Is Ready - Are Your APIs Discoverable?