Posted on 06-04-2014
I've been tracking on the API from the US Census Bureau since they launched in 2012, and even met with them to discuss their strategy over the last couple years. The team at the Census Bureau has slowly integrated an external API into their operations, opening up conversations around census survey data, that is harder to achieve from just downloads only.
I recently saw a post that Census Bureau is gearing up for the 2020 census. As I was reading the post, I couldn't help but think about how the Census API will influence how the 2020 census is executed. Additionally I wonder if any other APIs will be used during the census process, such as Twitter or other social platforms.
In my opinion, the census, and its resulting data will continue to be a cornerstone of the API and open data space. Census data adds a lot of value to other websites, mobile apps, and data visualizations and analysis, and is critical in providing context for both our online and offline worlds. I will continue to keep an eye on the US Census API, and look for signs of how APIs are influencing the 2020 census.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- The U.S. International Trade Commission Includes APIs In Latest Report
- Thank You @3Scale For Investing In The Community With @APIStrat
- Introducing API.Report, A Community API News Site
- Extract Knowledge From Audio And Video Using The Clarify API
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses