Posted on 06-23-2014
It is a common theme, that government of any kind, especially the US federal government is too slow when it comes to adopting new technology. While this may be a popular meme for anti-government crusaders, and is true in many areas of government, there are growing pockets of resistance across federal agencies, who are not just keeping up with the latest technology, but they are leading.
An example of this is out of the Department of Labor (DOL), with their new Swift Federal Data SDK, which provides a powerful SDK that allows you to work with multiple federal government data APIs, using the new Swift programming language. Swift is only a couple weeks old, and DOL didn't miss a beat in getting a new SDK published on Github for developers to take advantage of.
In my opinion, we can no longer use the tired old meme, that government is just too slow to adopt new technology. There are an increasing number of examples out there that prove otherwise. In the future when you want to criticize an agency for being to slow in their adoption of tech, don’t tell the same old tired story—point to examples like what DOL and 18F are up to, and incentivize the agencies to change in a positive way.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet