Posted on 08-18-2014
I used to publish out a list of curated stories each week, and a listing of the top 25 APIs I was paying attention to during my regular monitoring of the API space to a site I called The API Stack. When i went to Washington DC last summer as a Presidential Innovation Fellow, I suspended that weekly ritual, and never picked up after my world got back to normal.
I’m still monitoring about 1000 companies, with over 2000 total APIs, and curating the stories--I just don’t take the time each week to publish them to The API Stack. In an effort to try and reboot the project, provide value to the API Evangelist network, as well as to you my loayal reader, I've republished a new reflection of my work at the Github project. Right now it just lists 819 of the companies who are doing interesting things with APis in 114 categories.
Over the next couple weeks I will be reviewing each of these 819 companies APIs, and as I validate them, I will publish more detail. You can search for General Services Administration (GSA), under the Federal Stack to see an example of this work in action. I link to each of the GSA APIs, across multiple domains, and include a machine readable API definition as well as interactive documentation generated from the definition.
The API Stack will continue to be a window into my API targeting and monitoring, and I will update regularly as I have time. I’m a firm believer that going forward, the API space needs to focus on the quality of APIs, and not just the number of APIs available, and The API Stack reflects this way of thinking, playing out in my own work.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- The U.S. International Trade Commission Includes APIs In Latest Report
- Thank You @3Scale For Investing In The Community With @APIStrat
- Introducing API.Report, A Community API News Site
- Extract Knowledge From Audio And Video Using The Clarify API
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses