API Specifications Update for September 8th, 2021
08 Sep 2021
The evolution of OpenAPI, AsyncAPI, and JSON Schema is important to what I do at Postman, but also to the wider API space. I find it helpful to understand what is happening across each of the API specification communities, and I wanted to also find a way to share what I am seeing with everyone else. Each week I spend time to create a single digest of what is happening, without having to do all the work I am doing each week. While I am sure there is much more going on that I am not tuned into, here is what I see as the snapshot of what I see happening across the API specifications.
- Open Community (TDC) Meeting, Thursday 02 September 2021 · Issue #2687 - Last weeks OpenAPI TDC meeting.
- Office Hours · Discussion #34 - Last weeks JSON Schema office hours.
- API Specification Office Hours · Issue #138 - This weekly API specification meeting.
- Open Community (TDC) Meeting, Thursday 09 September 2021 · Issue #2700 - This weeks OpenAPI TDC meeting.
- Office Hours · Discussion #34 - This next week's JSON Schema public office hours.
- API Specification Office Hours · Issue #138 - This week's API specification office hours.
- AsyncAPI Initiative for event-driven APIs -
- Errata and/or Spec Clarification Required for Security Scheme Object (OAS 3.0 and OAS 3.1) · Issue #2703 · OAI/OpenAPI-Specification -
- Does the date format not support the nanosecond format? · Issue #2701 · OAI/OpenAPI-Specification -
- Proposal to solve publish/subscribe confusion · Issue #618 · asyncapi/spec -
- How should one cite the OpenAPI specification? · Discussion #2705 · OAI/OpenAPI-Specification -
- How should we determine the prioritization of work? · Discussion #2693 · OAI/OpenAPI-Specification -
- Special Interest Groups (SIGs) · Discussion #2695 · OAI/OpenAPI-Specification -
- Properties, members, items, and elements · Discussion #44 · json-schema-org/community -
- How to manage meta-schema updates between draft releases · Discussion #48 · json-schema-org/community -
- Release v0.29.0 · asyncapi/modelina - csharp enum rendering associated values
- Release v1.9.0 · asyncapi/parser-js - added traits() and hasTraits() functions
- Release v0.4.0 · asyncapi/avro-schema-parser - parse Avro name field to custom x-parser-schema-id
- Release v1.8.0 · asyncapi/parser-js - expose parser options as a seperate type
Interesting Blog Posts
- AsyncAPI vs OpenAPI: Answers to Your Burning Questions About the Two Most Popular API Specs | AsyncAPI Initiative for event-driven APIs - AsyncAPI and OpenAPI are different ways of defining application programming interfaces (APIs), also commonly known as API specs. Both API specs serve a crucial role in defining and governing distributed computing systems, but AsyncAPI and OpenAPI are used for different styles of integration
Join RedHat's Hugo Guerrero at ASC 2021! "Event-driven APIs & Schema governance for Apache Kafka" @hguerreroo @RedHat #APIs #OpenAPI #OSS #REST #APISpecs2021 https://t.co/pp4F5eUjzG pic.twitter.com/kPsDPgb7Uh— OpenAPI Spec (@OpenApiSpec) September 3, 2021
Share and highlight anything inside your API documentation. 🔗✨— Bump (@bump_hq) September 8, 2021
Asked by many of our users, you can now share and highlight anything in your docs with just a click. The selected element will be highlighted following your color theme.
Give it a try: https://t.co/Sg4642Gb06 pic.twitter.com/R8BSvQrww2
I just published Introduction to OpenAPI with Ballerina - An introduction to OpenAPI and client generation using @ballerinalang #ballerinalang #openapi #Microservices #CloudNative #Opensource https://t.co/eonAPwI37W— Anupama Pathirage (@anupama_pathira) September 4, 2021
🚨Our next Open Community Working Meeting is UK/EU time zone friendly.— JSON Schema (@jsonschema) September 7, 2021
🤔Got something you want us to discuss? Add a comment to the issue.
☕️Looking for something more like having a coffee?
keep reading... 👇
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Loved the concept of JSON rules engine so much, I built a super tiny, highly configurable JSON Schema rules engine: https://t.co/kliihYAGx5. Reach out if your typescript savvy, help wanted! #json #jsonschema— Adam Jenkins (@akmjenkins) September 6, 2021
If there is anything missing from my summary of what is going on in the world of API specifications, please let me know! As part of this process I am working to get folks behind the meetings, discussions, and other goings on to be more public about what they are doing so I have a URL to share. I am also working on updating the home page of the API Specification Toolbox to showcase how you can learn, implement, and contribute to each of the specifications—-once I have up, I will link to more from this regularly summary. My goal is to provide a single place everyone can go to get involved within the communities for each of the API specifications, but also stay up to speed on what is going on each week.