Posted on 06-11-2012
Every couple weeks I get posts that really strike a chord with my audience, like Barack Obama Directs All Federal Agencies to Have an API, which has received 40K+ page views and 1000+ tweets. When it comes to sustained traffic numbers, two posts seem to really bring in eyeballs each and every week via organic searches:
These posts are successful, not because of searches driven from a couple of hours on the home page of Reddit or Hacker News, these get page views because users are searching for open source API tools on the open Internet. Seeing these sustained numbers validates for me the need for an fully open-source set of tools for API deployment and management.
While the top API management service providers like 3Scale, Apigee, Layer7, Mashery and SOA Software are enjoying growth in API adoption, to reach a million APIs and a truly healthy API industry, we need a solid open-source API platform that provides:
- RESTful Framework for Deployment and Management
- API Analytics and Metering
- API Service and Billing Management
- Ecosystem Building Blocks Like Documentation, Code Samples, etc.
I know there are individual tools that deliver in some of these area, and this is what I am working to bring together via the API Evangelist tools section. But we need a full suite of tools that API owners can deploy from start to finish, and service providers can benefit from as well as contribute to--something in PHP, Python, Ruby and / or Java.
While looking through thousands of APIs I notice that many of them go silent about 6 months after launch, which tells me many of them spent their resources on development, deployment and initial management--not leaving resources for properly handling the business of their APIs, allowing them to evolve, pivot and find success.
To get the API industry where we need it, we need thousands of more companies jumping in. Many of these companies won’t be able to afford the services of Apigee, Layer7, Mashery and SOA, and with 3Scale and Mashape being the only entry level API management platform(there are others emerging), there is a huge need for an entry-level, open source API offering.
Since I’m one of the only vendor neutral players in the space, I’d love to solicit some partners to help make this happen. Even if version 1.0 involves bundling of existing open-source tools, I’d like to kickstart a truly open-source movement for the API space.
UPDATE: Shortly after posting this I was introduced to the new WSO2 Open Source API Management Platform.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems