Posted on 10-25-2012
While I was out in Washington DC this week, one of the Presidential Innovation Fellows in my workshop was from the Department of Energy, and shared one of the best examples of APIs delivering value I’ve seen in awhile.
The US Department of Energy has developed the Bioenergy Knowledge Discovery Framework (KDF), which is a platform for researchers and engineers from national laboratories, academia, and private industries to upload files, customize information online, and exchange knowledge with each other.
The Bioenergy Knowledge Discovery Framework provides acess to a landmark “Billion-Ton” bioenergy study on fuel resources, providing a wealth of information from a variety of researchers. The study generated a large volume of interest, and resulted in numerous requests for raw data disclosure from the researchers.
In response the project deployed a web API, providing direct access to raw data, saving the resources necessary to reach out to researchers as well as the researchers valuable time in processing requests and providing data.
The US Department of Energy estimates they saved $882,000 in operational costs and researchers valuable time by bundling the API with the bioenergy study.
This is why I evangelize APIs. The US Department of Energy case study demonstrates not just the value of APIs, but how they can actually make government more efficient and save tax payers money.
In addition I strongly advocate that APIs and raw data access should be default for all studies and resulting reports, allowing anyone to dive deeper into the research and provide additional insights.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Hypermedia Feels Like We Are Still Learning To Communicate With APIs
- Getting To Know Markus Lanthaler For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Kevin Swiber For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Steve Klabnik For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- New Indix API KickStart Program Reduces Costs For Developers
- Getting To Know Mike Kelly For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- A Shared, Distributed Experience(Metrics) Layer For The API Driven Application Stack
- Showcasing Your API Integrations With Other Platforms
- Increasing The Focus On APIs In Higher Education Is Important
- Getting To Know Mike Amundsen For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Models For API Driven Startups Built Around Public Data
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks