Posted on 03-05-2013
I’m a little behind in working through my list of new APIs to review. So I’m spending about 3 hours each day going through my list of new APIs accumulated from ProgrammableWeb, Tweets, Bookmarks, Google Alerts and other ways I have for discovering new APIs.
After looking through a couple hundred APIs, I wanted to share some things that stand out, and make me feel someone really doesn't give a shit when they hit publish on their API:
- Your entire developer area is a PDF
- Really long, incoherent URL for dev area
- Dev area is just a page in your help directory
- You put google ads on every page of your API documentation
- No communication, support or contact information at all
- Sign up form that pops up in my face as soon as page loads
- Require an NDA before I register
These are just a handful of things that make me give an API a C or D grade, which means you probably aren’t on my radar. But then again if you don't have active blog or twitter or developers aren't talking about you, your API won't register on the radar even with a B grade.
After looking through hundreds of APIs I leave with the same feeling: that there tons of good ideas out there, but 80% of them are just executed very poorly.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet