Posted on 03-15-2013
In May 2011 I released a book called the Business of APIs. The book was intended to be an introductory walkthrough for non-technical people, to the world of APIs. I wanted to educate business, organizational and governmental leaders about the space, and the important role of APIs in having a healthy digital strategy.
Its coming up on two years later, and I'm finally getting around to updating the Business of APIs. After a nice long walk on the strand with @audreywatters, we have the outline for the next version:
- What is an API?
- What are APIs used for?
- The history of APIs
- What goes into an API?
- Do you need an API?
- How do you get an API??
- What are the common building blocks of an API?
- What are possible business models for an API?
- How do you evangelize and support an API?
- Where have some APIs stumbled?
- APIs, a new way of doing business
The goal of the Business of APIs is the same. Help anyone, from any company, organization or the government understand what an API is, and why they are important. You don't have to be a developer to put APIs to use, this book is for everyone.
Look for an updated version of the Business of APIs by June. I'll still keep it a simple guide to the space, but provide a whole lot more information that will help you understand the Business of APIs.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You @3Scale For Investing In The Community With @APIStrat
- Introducing API.Report, A Community API News Site
- Extract Knowledge From Audio And Video Using The Clarify API
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API