Posted on 05-24-2013
Cloud storage of documents is becoming commonplace. Individuals, companies, government and non-government organizations have increasingly seen the potential of storing files in the cloud using services like Amazon S3, Dropbox and Box.
As a web or mobile application developer, it is becoming more common to provide integration, syncing or even direct usage of popular cloud storage services like Dropbox as the application's storage system.
What caught my attention is Dave's use of Dropbox as the central storage for the app. It reminds me of another application I use called Prose.io, which uses Github as the central storage system for the app.
I really dig this approach to delivering, dead-simple, meaningful apps like Fargo, that don't re-invent the wheel and focus on delivering value on top of the existing tools and platforms we already use.
I asked Dave what his thoughts are on this approach, in which he simply replied:
I like Dave's approach to app development which is about delivering simple, useful apps that that sensibly put APIs to use, and establish a foundation using open formats like OPML.
As the hardware and operating systems developers depend on continues being vritualized and migrating into the cloud, the usage of open formats and common, API driven cloud resources like storage from Dropbox, will be common among successful app developers.
I think Dropbox as your apps default file system is here to stay.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Hypermedia Feels Like We Are Still Learning To Communicate With APIs
- Getting To Know Markus Lanthaler For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Kevin Swiber For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Steve Klabnik For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- New Indix API KickStart Program Reduces Costs For Developers
- Getting To Know Mike Kelly For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- A Shared, Distributed Experience(Metrics) Layer For The API Driven Application Stack
- Showcasing Your API Integrations With Other Platforms
- Increasing The Focus On APIs In Higher Education Is Important
- Getting To Know Mike Amundsen For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Models For API Driven Startups Built Around Public Data
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks