Posted on 05-24-2013
Cloud storage of documents is becoming commonplace. Individuals, companies, government and non-government organizations have increasingly seen the potential of storing files in the cloud using services like Amazon S3, Dropbox and Box.
As a web or mobile application developer, it is becoming more common to provide integration, syncing or even direct usage of popular cloud storage services like Dropbox as the application's storage system.
What caught my attention is Dave's use of Dropbox as the central storage for the app. It reminds me of another application I use called Prose.io, which uses Github as the central storage system for the app.
I really dig this approach to delivering, dead-simple, meaningful apps like Fargo, that don't re-invent the wheel and focus on delivering value on top of the existing tools and platforms we already use.
I asked Dave what his thoughts are on this approach, in which he simply replied:
I like Dave's approach to app development which is about delivering simple, useful apps that that sensibly put APIs to use, and establish a foundation using open formats like OPML.
As the hardware and operating systems developers depend on continues being vritualized and migrating into the cloud, the usage of open formats and common, API driven cloud resources like storage from Dropbox, will be common among successful app developers.
I think Dropbox as your apps default file system is here to stay.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems