Posted on 05-28-2013
Over the last year I've worked hard to standardize and automate as much of my monitoring of the API space as I can. The amount of information I was monitoring daily was getting overwhelming--I needed to scale what I do, so I created what I call my API Stack Ranking.
The API Stack Ranking is not meant to be a top 25 list, it is meant to be a ranking that I can sort companies by each week, giving me a meaningful stack of companies, who are doing interesting things in the API space.
Each week I publish my API Stack, but you can also see this influence on any of my research areas. If you go to API management or the Backend as a Service (BaaS) research projects, the providers are sorted by their ranking for the week.
In addition to sharing my stack each week, I'd like to also share the criteria I use to determine my stack. Currently I bundle my signals into three areas:
Internal - Signals within control of the companies I'm monitoring
- Has a Blog
- Number of Blog Posts
- Has a Twitter Account
- Number of Tweets
- Has Github Account
- Number of Github Repositories
- Number of Commits Across Repositories
External - Signals from the public, outside of the companies control that I'm monitoring
- Number of Twitter Followers
- Number of @Mentions for Twitter
- Blogsphere (Techcrunch, GigaOm, ReadWrite, etc) Posts
- Social Bookmark (Hacker News, Reddit, StumbleUpon) Links
- Stack Exchange Reference
- Number of Github Followers
- Number of Github Stars
- Number of Github Forks
Analyst - Signals that are dependent on what I personally see and feel is important
- Curated News
- Curated News I Write Notes About
- Syndicate to Twitter
- Syndicate to LinkedIn
- Syndicate to G+
- Publish story on API Evangelist
- Vote Up
- Vote Down
My API Stack Ranking is always in flux. I'm considering other signals like job postings, events as well as sentiment analysist, but this listing represents what I'm currently evaluating to generate my stack each week.
While internal signals give me a good idea of what a company is up to, and the external signals give me some idea regarding what the open developer community is saying, it all really comes down to the analyst part of the algorithm. A company may tweet a lot, but its up to me to decide if those tweets are valuable.
The API Stack Ranking isn't perfect. But it has allowed me to quadruple the amount of information I take in, and surface what I feel are the real stories and reflect the companies that are truly impacting the API space each week.
I have also been able to expand the API Stack Ranking to any business or topical sector I wish now, much like I applied to BaaS I'm now evaluating federal government, healthcare and other sectors in the same way.
Feel free to contact me directly about the API Stack, and the data and content I produce each week. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet