Posted on 09-24-2013
When it comes to building applications within the federal government, there are numerous road-blocks to innovation. I'm currently assisting with the inventorying of open data assets at the Department of Veterans Affairs, as well as across numerous other federal agencies.
The two biggest bottlenecks of this process are:
- File Conversion - Converting Excel and CSV data assets into JSON and XML
- File Storage - Where do you put data assets once you have available in CSV, JSON and XML
When I hit these road-blocks, it is my nature to find quick and dirty technical solutions (hacks) to get around these obstacles, and do it in a way that can be taught to others, allowing them to overcome these challenges in their own worlds.
The solution I've employed involved discovering and forking of a kick ass data conversion tool called Mr. Data Converter, and quickly the tool retrofitted with some of my own enhancements:
- HTML5 File API - Allows me to acces file content without server side technology.
- oAuth.io - Dead simple, client side oAuth for Github and other platforms.
I quickly stripped down Mr. Data Converter to have only the features I desired, added a file upload capabilities that used the File API to access CSV files without a server side layer, then after authenticating with oAuth.io via Github, I used Github.js to post the original CSV and converted JSON or XML files directly to the same Github repo that the file conversion application runs in.
This approach allows me to run the Excel / CSV conversion app 100% on Github using Github Pages--an blueprint that allows anyone to fork and run within their own Github accounts. I'll spend more time hardening the code, and documenting it, to make it easier to use, and empower anyone to use in their own open data inventorying initiatives.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet