Posted on 03-10-2014
I spent some time developing a hello world product API with Blueprint, RAML And Swagger this last week, and along the way I had several experiences that I think are influential in the API design process. One of these was while I was designing my product API using Apiary.io.
After I had gotten to a certain point in my design, and I wanted to see it in action, so I clicked on the preview button. A panel slid out showing me the interactive documentation my developers will see when it is published, and potentially see how it will work with sample API responses, and code samples in a variety of programming languages.
Just like interactive API documentation has been important in teaching developers about an API interface, it will also assist API providers in understanding their own interface throughout the design process, and be able to better articulate the interface to developers.
A common mistake I see from API deployments is that developers see the world through the lens of their preferred programming language. I’ve seen very PHP centric design patterns, ones that cater to .NET and even APIs that consider only Node.js in their interface design patterns. It is not just the fact that they are thinking only in their programming language that is a problem, its just the fact that they aren't willing see the world through the eyes of their potential developers.
Anything we can do to expand the horizons of API developers during the API design process, helping them see the wider world they are entering into by exposing their API, is a good thing.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs
- Applying APIs.json To API Discovery In The Federal Government
- The Power In API Discovery For APIs.json Will Be In The API URL Type
- Fixing The Machine Readability in API Commons
- Evolving How We Approach The API Lifecycle With APIMatic
- APIs Can Open Up Your Company To Outside Ideas
- APIs Are Often Just A Facade That Is Covering Up The Legacy View Of World
- A Mobile Developer Toolkit With The University Of Michigan APIs