Posted on 03-10-2014
I spent some time developing a hello world product API with Blueprint, RAML And Swagger this last week, and along the way I had several experiences that I think are influential in the API design process. One of these was while I was designing my product API using Apiary.io.
After I had gotten to a certain point in my design, and I wanted to see it in action, so I clicked on the preview button. A panel slid out showing me the interactive documentation my developers will see when it is published, and potentially see how it will work with sample API responses, and code samples in a variety of programming languages.
Just like interactive API documentation has been important in teaching developers about an API interface, it will also assist API providers in understanding their own interface throughout the design process, and be able to better articulate the interface to developers.
A common mistake I see from API deployments is that developers see the world through the lens of their preferred programming language. I’ve seen very PHP centric design patterns, ones that cater to .NET and even APIs that consider only Node.js in their interface design patterns. It is not just the fact that they are thinking only in their programming language that is a problem, its just the fact that they aren't willing see the world through the eyes of their potential developers.
Anything we can do to expand the horizons of API developers during the API design process, helping them see the wider world they are entering into by exposing their API, is a good thing.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format