Posted on 08-04-2014
Irakli Nadareishvili (@inadarei), Dave Goldberg (@davidgoldberg) and I were having an interesting conversation on the Twitterz, after I posted "As We Recover The Banking Industry Seems To Be Warming Up To APIs", yesterday--on a topic I think is worth repeating regularly, to generate discussion within any business sector.
I think that all three of us are optimistic about what APIs can do in an industry like banking, and because of our experience, we are very realistic about what is possible in the end--realizing not every API will be good by default.
I'll just let you follow along with our conversation, then I'll explore a little more:
@kinlane it's insane how far behind major industries are: healthcare, banking, airlines. It's 2014 and HL7 is the best we can do? Really?— Irakli Nadareishvili (@inadarei) August 3, 2014
What would a Twilio look like for the banking industry? Probably similar to The Open Bank Project or Plaid, and focusing on rebooting, and simplifying just a single slice of the insanely complex banking system. I'm not saying that these two startups are the next Twilio of banking, but I do see them as two potential dynamite holes being drilled into the bedrock of a very entrenched, highly regulated industry, and powerful industry.
I don't see APIs being the silver bullet to the banking industry, or any other industry for that matter. Slow change will happen through the solid execution of an API focused business strategy by one or more of the existing banking powerhouses, at the same time it will also take a wave of API driven banking startups, who hopefully emulate much of Twilio's game plan, to slowly to blast away at the bedrock core of the banking industry.
Another thing to pay attention to, is when the large banks do understand how APIs are becoming the pipes for this new digital economy, they will begin to wield their power and influence, just as other 1000lb gorillas do in business sectors like education, healthcare, and other critical areas of our economy. APIs don't just purify the distribution of legacy power like a rocky mountain stream does to water, it will take the development of some pretty sophisticated API facades to mask legacy complexity, every step of the way.
In a next post, I'll explore what this top down, and bottom up approach looks like, by examining the progress we have all made with open data, and APIs in the federal government.
P.S. Sorry Irakli, I just couldn't use Twilio the "HECK" out of them. I have an edgy image to uphold, but remember everyone Irakli is the first person to use Twilio as a verb!
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems