Google API Explorer
08 Mar 2011Just days after Apigee made their API explorer free and embeddable, Google has announced a new API Explorer.
The new Google API Explorer is an interactive interface for playing with Google APIs.
Google API Explorer currently supports:
- Google Buzz API
- Google Custom Search API
- Diacritize API
- Moderator API
- Shopping API
- Translate API
- URL Shortener API
By selecting an API you wish to explore, you can see all the available methods and parameters along with documentation. Just fill out the parameters for the method you want to try and click execute. The Google Explorer composes the request, executes it, and displays the response.
Google provides some real-life examples anyone can execute:
- Expand a goo.gl URL using the URL Shortener API
- Translate a phrase to French using the Translate API
- List your personal Buzz posts using the Buzz API (requires private access)
This type of discovery and instant visualization can be the difference between API adoption or choosing to go with an alternative.
- API Area - Common Building Blocks (apievangelist.com)
- Apigee To-Go: Build, Skin, and Embed Your Own API Console, Free (apigee.com)
- Introducing the Google APIs Explorer (googlecode.blogspot.com)