With all the attention sexism in silicon valley has gotten, I wanted to make sure and showcase some positive news on the Hackathon front this week.
There was a great article in the Oregonian out of Portland called, "Intel 'Code for Good' hackathon helps nonprofits solve technology challenges".
The theme for the hackathon: Girls in education
Code for Good co-organizer Josh Bancroft worked with co-organizer Renee Kuriyan and employees in Intel's corporate affairs group to help four nonprofit organizations, World Pulse, a Portland-based nonprofit; Room to Read; 10X10: Educate Girls Change the World; and Global Campaign for Education.
"I felt like we could amplify the impact" by software and corporate working together, Bancroft said. The partnerships were already established by corporate affairs, and the software group simply brought the technical expertise.
Their task was to create software solutions to real-world problems facing girls in education, and for each team to develop an app by the end of the day that the nonprofits could then put to use. The hackathon theme is part of Intel's "She Will" campaign and with the company's overarching mission to "create and extend computing technology to connect and enrich the lives of every person on Earth."
You can read more about the great hackathon over at Oregon Live. I just wanted to point out that not all hackathons are male dominated, and the model can go much further than some of what we see coming out of Silicon Valley.
|Code for Good, Girls, Hackathons, Intel, Nonprofit, Room to Read, Women|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends
- API Priorities
- Have You Taken A Look At AT&T APis Lately?
- Helping People Understand APIs Through Real World Examples
- Evolving Beyond API Service Providers and Tools to Goal Based API Toolkits
- APIs & The Federal Government
- After Last Couple of Weeks, It's Clear There Is Big Opportunity In The API Space