Posted on 03-26-2012
With all the attention sexism in silicon valley has gotten, I wanted to make sure and showcase some positive news on the Hackathon front this week.
There was a great article in the Oregonian out of Portland called, "Intel 'Code for Good' hackathon helps nonprofits solve technology challenges".
The theme for the hackathon: Girls in education
Code for Good co-organizer Josh Bancroft worked with co-organizer Renee Kuriyan and employees in Intel's corporate affairs group to help four nonprofit organizations, World Pulse, a Portland-based nonprofit; Room to Read; 10X10: Educate Girls Change the World; and Global Campaign for Education.
"I felt like we could amplify the impact" by software and corporate working together, Bancroft said. The partnerships were already established by corporate affairs, and the software group simply brought the technical expertise.
Their task was to create software solutions to real-world problems facing girls in education, and for each team to develop an app by the end of the day that the nonprofits could then put to use. The hackathon theme is part of Intel's "She Will" campaign and with the company's overarching mission to "create and extend computing technology to connect and enrich the lives of every person on Earth."
You can read more about the great hackathon over at Oregon Live. I just wanted to point out that not all hackathons are male dominated, and the model can go much further than some of what we see coming out of Silicon Valley.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate