Posted on 05-22-2012
|Image Credit - Wiki Noticia|
Adam Duvander (@adamd) reported at ProgrammableWeb today that they rolled over 6,000 public APIs in the directory. The pace at which companies are launching public APIs is accelerating, with the last 1,000 added in just 3 months.
Any of us in the space knows that this is just the tip of the iceberg, and Adam acknowledges that internal API usage is a major factor in API growth. While public APIs get all the major press, there are many private API initiatives that won’t see the light of day.
So my question is, how are we going to track on the growth of private APIs along with public APIs? Since mobile app development is such an important piece, can we count mobile apps produced by a company? Can we count on API service providers to start reporting on this data?
I don’t have the answer. It is something I think we need to figure out, not just so ProgrammableWeb can have its finger on the pulse, but there is an ever increasing amount of business and personal resources flowing through these API pipes, we need to have an understanding of where these API pipes are laid, which industries, etc.
Much like the rollout of fiber in the late 90’s, we are going to see massive API rollouts, without much oversight and map of where these virtual pipes are. I’d like to hear more about how we can work together to build a map of the back-end of the new API driven economy.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format