Posted on 09-18-2012
I’m currently processing several discussion I’ve had with folks about APIs and the future of search when it comes to voice enabled apps, like Apple’s Siri.
It started with a discussion with the Webshell folks about their blog post, Webservices supply chain management : the SIRI case. Next I was reading a presentation from Pat Cappelaere(@cappelaere) CEO of Vightel Corporation. called Building Tomorrow’s Web Services API.
Pat has an interesting image in his deck, showing who the next generation consumer of your API will be:
These conversations reflect a whole new area of consideration for the future of web APIs. Will voice be the dominant way to search via our mobile devices? If so, how do we expose our companies resources, in a way that makes them easily consumed by voice enabled apps?
At the simplest, we need to discuss where REST fails us in this scenario, and at the most complex we need to discuss what “activities” will be consumed by voice apps and what types of “supply chain management” processes or framework will we need to manage all of this.
All of this will feed into to whether or not your company, its products and services will be found in a Siri-like search, when voice enabled apps become the default.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Where Do We Start With APIs At The University of Oklahoma?
- What I Would Look For When Hiring a Modern API Developer?
- The U.S. International Trade Commission Includes APIs In Latest Report
- Thank You @3Scale For Investing In The Community With @APIStrat
- Introducing API.Report, A Community API News Site
- Extract Knowledge From Audio And Video Using The Clarify API
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions