Posted on 09-18-2012
I’m currently processing several discussion I’ve had with folks about APIs and the future of search when it comes to voice enabled apps, like Apple’s Siri.
It started with a discussion with the Webshell folks about their blog post, Webservices supply chain management : the SIRI case. Next I was reading a presentation from Pat Cappelaere(@cappelaere) CEO of Vightel Corporation. called Building Tomorrow’s Web Services API.
Pat has an interesting image in his deck, showing who the next generation consumer of your API will be:
These conversations reflect a whole new area of consideration for the future of web APIs. Will voice be the dominant way to search via our mobile devices? If so, how do we expose our companies resources, in a way that makes them easily consumed by voice enabled apps?
At the simplest, we need to discuss where REST fails us in this scenario, and at the most complex we need to discuss what “activities” will be consumed by voice apps and what types of “supply chain management” processes or framework will we need to manage all of this.
All of this will feed into to whether or not your company, its products and services will be found in a Siri-like search, when voice enabled apps become the default.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet