Posted on 03-18-2014
I'm going through the schedule for API Strategy & Practice next week in Amsterdam, getting intimate with each keynote, panel, and session, and their speakers. On day one we have a keynote from Mike Amundsen (@mamund), API Architect at Layer7 titled, "Self-Replication, Strandbeest, and the Game of Life What von Neumann, Jansen, and Conway can teach us about scaling the API economy”.
I have not seen this talk by Mike, so I have no idea what he is planning, but I have to share an epiphany I had when I first contacted Mike about speaking at #APIStrat Amsterdam. Mike had responded to my initial email asking me what I was interested in having him talk about, which I’m a huge fan of Mike’s approach to storytelling, so I’m leaving it up to him. However Mike responded with a link to Strandbeest, simply stating he would like to incorporate this into a talk.
As I watched Strandbeest I had a realization, this was a physical manifestation of what I envision as API driven application architecture for the API economy. Over the years I had built up visualizations in my mind of what architecture will look like when you are building applications with not 1 or 2, or 10 or 20 API, but hundreds of API driven resources, all working together in concert for a single outcome. The Strandbeest is the first physical object I've seen to come close to what i was seeing in my minds eye, and even more telling was that it was Mike Amundsen who introduced me to this object.
When you watch the Strandbeest video, imagine each tube as a single API, and each resulting "beest" as a system or application you intend to build with APIs. Imagine being an architect at this scale, orchestrating hundreds of APIs into a workflow, or series of workflows that produces a virtual "strandbeest" that doesn't just run on the beach, but operates within the API economy at a global scale.
Ok, I know this is pretty deep shit. I hope you can follow my groove, and see the same future. If you are like me, I’m beside myself with anticipation of Mike’s talk in Amsterdam. Mike is not just THE DOMAIN EXPERT who is going to visualize architecture at this level, this far into the future--he’s got the storytelling chops to help the rest of get up to speed, steering us towards a healthier version of the API economy.
I hope you are going to join us in Amsterdam next week for API Strategy & Practice. The ability to not just hear stories like Mike’s, but actually join him in a conversation about how we visualize, and ultimately orchestrate an API economy that flows like Strandbeests on the beach, is why 3Scale and API Evangelist produce #APIStrat.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate