Posted on 03-21-2014
I spend a lot of time each week reading the blog feeds, and twitter streams from the best API providers in the space. In my opinion this represents the lowest hanging fruit in my API monitoring, where the stories just land in my lap, delivered to me by my feeds—then once I've picked all this fruit, I find myself looking through the Twitter followers of many of these APIs.
The Twitter followers can contain some really interesting gems from across the API sector that I wouldn't find through my normal channels. By manually browsing the Twitter followers for APIs I’m looking for:
- People - Interesting folks doing innovative stuff across the API space.
- Companies - New startups that have trouble cutting through the noise in space.
- Stories - The lesser known stories that I see when looking through my unique lens.
- Services - API related services that might be shifting from the norm, pushing the API space forward.
- Tools - Developers are notoriously bad at marketing their work, and I find some cool tools on Twitter.
I have tools that I have developed that help me filter, search and easily look through thousands of Twitters followers, but I also find manually looking through them allows me to find the gems that my algorithm can’t always find. A balance of programmatic and human approach to scanning the followers seems to work best.
Some of my best companies, individuals and stories I’ve written, have come from trolling through Twitter followers. While I focus on my core feeds to understand the space daily, each week I try to remember to expand my network, adding new users, and blogs to my network, and Twitter followers is a great place to do this.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question