Posted on 06-05-2014
In January I started taking a closer look at the world of API design, by reviewing the top movers in the space, Swagger from Wordnik, API Blueprint from Apiary, and RAML from Mulesoft. My goal was to quantity the world of API design, and help me understand where it might be going, or where there are opportunities for new tools and services.
My intention is to write a white paper on API Design, but haven’t reached this point, with the crazy amount of events and travel I’ve had in the last couple months. Looking back, at where I left off in my research, the major difference between providers was that Swagger was JSON, and didn't have all the tooling that was available with API Blueprint and RAML.
Fast forward 60 days, and I find myself at Gluecon, hanging out with Tony Tam of Reverb, creator of Swagger. On the last day of the conference,Tony shows me the new Swagger editor, with a new focus on YAML, as well as JSON Swagger definitions. With one release Tony addresses any gap in the space, leveling the API design playing field between API Blueprint, Swagger, and RAML.
While there are many differences between each providers, which you can see in my reposting of Ole Lensmar of SmartBear explored in his talk at #APIStrat Amsterdam with how they model REST, and what is behind the name, each of these top API design solutions will get you there, it just depends on your preferences.
60 days ago I would say that RAML and API Blueprint had a leg up on Swagger because of markdown / YAML focus, and with the amount of tooling they had. With one release Swagger has closed the gap, and with the traction they have amongst developers with a first mover advantage, this could put them squarely in the lead for adoption.
I’m predicting I’ll have more time this month to finish up my API design research, and produce the first draft of the white paper. API design is proving to one of the most talked about areas of the API sector in 2014, and one I’m enjoying tracking on.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems