Posted on 06-05-2014
After #Gluecon in Colorado the other week, I have API design on the brain. A portion of the #APIStrat un-workshops were dedicated to API design related discussion, and API Design is also the most trafficked portion of API Evangelist this year, according to my Google Analytics.
At #Gluecon, 3Scale and API Evangelist announced our new API discovery project APIs.json, and associated tooling, API search engine APIs.io. For APIs.json, APIs.io, and API Commons to work, we are counting API providers, and API consumers creating machine readable API definitions.
With this in mind, I wanted to do some exploration--what would be possible incentives for creating machine readable API definitions?
The importance of having an API definition of available resources, is increasing. It was hard to realize the value of defining APIs with the heavy, top down defined WSDL, and even its web counterpart WADL, but with these new approaches, other incentives are emerging—incentives that live throughout the API lifecycle.
The first tangible shift in this area was when Swagger released the Swagger UI, providing interactive documentation that was generated from a Swagger API definition. Apiary quickly moved the incentives to an earlier stage in the API design lifecycle with design, mocking and collaboration opportunities.
As the API design world continues to explode, I’m seeing a number of other incentives emerge for API providers to generate machine readable API definitions, and looking to find any incentives that I’m missing, as well as identify any opportunities in how I can encourage API designers to generate machine readable API definitions in whatever format they desire.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet