Posted on 06-05-2014
After #Gluecon in Colorado the other week, I have API design on the brain. A portion of the #APIStrat un-workshops were dedicated to API design related discussion, and API Design is also the most trafficked portion of API Evangelist this year, according to my Google Analytics.
At #Gluecon, 3Scale and API Evangelist announced our new API discovery project APIs.json, and associated tooling, API search engine APIs.io. For APIs.json, APIs.io, and API Commons to work, we are counting API providers, and API consumers creating machine readable API definitions.
With this in mind, I wanted to do some exploration--what would be possible incentives for creating machine readable API definitions?
The importance of having an API definition of available resources, is increasing. It was hard to realize the value of defining APIs with the heavy, top down defined WSDL, and even its web counterpart WADL, but with these new approaches, other incentives are emerging—incentives that live throughout the API lifecycle.
The first tangible shift in this area was when Swagger released the Swagger UI, providing interactive documentation that was generated from a Swagger API definition. Apiary quickly moved the incentives to an earlier stage in the API design lifecycle with design, mocking and collaboration opportunities.
As the API design world continues to explode, I’m seeing a number of other incentives emerge for API providers to generate machine readable API definitions, and looking to find any incentives that I’m missing, as well as identify any opportunities in how I can encourage API designers to generate machine readable API definitions in whatever format they desire.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs
- Applying APIs.json To API Discovery In The Federal Government
- The Power In API Discovery For APIs.json Will Be In The API URL Type
- Fixing The Machine Readability in API Commons
- Evolving How We Approach The API Lifecycle With APIMatic
- APIs Can Open Up Your Company To Outside Ideas
- APIs Are Often Just A Facade That Is Covering Up The Legacy View Of World
- A Mobile Developer Toolkit With The University Of Michigan APIs