Posted on 08-21-2014
I first wrote about openFDA back in June, showcasing the launch of their new developer area, and I'm happy to see they aren't missing a beat when it comes to launching new APIs. I recently saw that openFDA just launch a new endpoint, called the Drug Label API, which allows you to query over 60K prescriptions and over-the-counter drug labels.
It is satisfying to see such a large government agency find their API mojo. The original spark at the FDA was lit by Presidential Innovate Fellow Sean Herron (@seanherron), but most recently Sean has handed off the iniative to an internal team who will keep they platform moving forward using the same formula.
Beyond just the API, openFDA is also seriously putting the "open" in openFDA with:
- Public Repo on GitHub
- Extensive Community Q&A on StackExchange
- Progress Terms of Service for Government
Everything the openFDA is doing provides a great blueprint for other agencies to follow, from their creative evolution of the interactive API documentation, to encouraging other federal agencies to fork, and use the openFDA TOS in their own platforms.
The work coming out of the FDA makes me happy, because it sets a strong example that other agencies can follow, provides the rest of us with something positive that we can highlight when working to change public opinion, but also because it is such extremely vital data, and should be available in full download, and API format so that it can stimulate web and mobile app development, and system integration across the private sector.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- I Am Using Kimono Labs To Fill In Gap For Companies Who Do Not Have AN RSS Feed For Their Blog
- Someone Please Build My Open, Interactive, Portable, And Visual API Documentation Toolkit
- Dwolla Using Slate For An Evolved API Documentation Experience
- Crazy Mess Of URLs Across 400 Of The APIs In My Stack
- Reworking My API 101 Content: Consuming APIs
- I Need Help To Make Sure The Dept. of Agriculture Leads With APIs In Their Parks and Recreation RFP
- What Is The Biggest Challenge For Fraud Detection API SiftScience?
- Reworking My API 101 Content: Providing APIs
- What I Spent Ada Lovelace Day Working On
- An Outside-In Approach To Jumpstarting An API Effort At The University of Oklahoma