Posted on 08-21-2014
I first wrote about openFDA back in June, showcasing the launch of their new developer area, and I'm happy to see they aren't missing a beat when it comes to launching new APIs. I recently saw that openFDA just launch a new endpoint, called the Drug Label API, which allows you to query over 60K prescriptions and over-the-counter drug labels.
It is satisfying to see such a large government agency find their API mojo. The original spark at the FDA was lit by Presidential Innovate Fellow Sean Herron (@seanherron), but most recently Sean has handed off the iniative to an internal team who will keep they platform moving forward using the same formula.
Beyond just the API, openFDA is also seriously putting the "open" in openFDA with:
- Public Repo on GitHub
- Extensive Community Q&A on StackExchange
- Progress Terms of Service for Government
Everything the openFDA is doing provides a great blueprint for other agencies to follow, from their creative evolution of the interactive API documentation, to encouraging other federal agencies to fork, and use the openFDA TOS in their own platforms.
The work coming out of the FDA makes me happy, because it sets a strong example that other agencies can follow, provides the rest of us with something positive that we can highlight when working to change public opinion, but also because it is such extremely vital data, and should be available in full download, and API format so that it can stimulate web and mobile app development, and system integration across the private sector.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape