Posted on 08-25-2014
Electronic search engine APIs Octopart developed a pretty slick Microsoft Excel plugin for their API a while back, and have now taken it to the next level, with a Google Spreadsheet connector for their API. You can find a simple video on on their site, and the code on Github.
Using the open source Google Spreadsheet API connector, you can connect to the latest electronic parts pricing and availability in your Google Docs, kept up-to-date using the Octopart API—providing a pretty interesting way to maintain a bill of materials (BOM), across multiple providers.
Octopart's approach to using both Microsoft Excel, and Google Spreadsheets as an interface for the average business person is pretty interesting, not because it is the perfect technological solution, but because it brings the value of APIs closer to the actual business problem owners.
Octopart helped increase my awareness of spreadsheets being in conjunction with APIs, but after seeing other providers like Twilio using Google Spreadsheet for storing SMS, and the increased usage of API reciprocity providers like Zapier, making me think spreadsheets have quite a future in the API space.
What innovative uses of Microsoft Excel or Google Spreadsheets are you seeing in conjunction with common, or even unique APIs?
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Swagger Visualization Layer Using D3.js
- Establishing Common Dictionaries That Industries Can Use In Their API Design
- Top 5 Most Popular Themes On API Evangelist In 2014
- Query Parameter Determining Which Fields Are Queried For API Call
- Now Our Development Environment Is Now Containerized And Scalable Like Our Production Environment
- Guest Post: Let Our Sponsors Blow A Little Smoke Up Your Ass
- API Discovery Continues Its Move Into The IDE With Eclipse Che
- Evolving Beyond Just Resources Towards A More Experience Based API Design
- Another View of The API vs. Data Download Model
- If You Have A Publicly Available Mobile App You Have a Public API