Posted on 06-08-2013
There are plenty of tools and services you can use to manage your API and its developer community. But there is no platform that provides as much benefit and versatility as Github.
Github is a social coding platform that developers have grown to love and respect. With a high level of adoption by developers, and the versatility of the features available on Github, API providers have developed many innovative ways to use the platform to manage an API.
I have documented eleven approaches to using Github for API management to date:
- Design and Code
- Software development kits (SDK)
- Code Samples (Gists)
- Developer Authentication
- Developer Profiling
- Presentations and Guides
- Issue Management
- Terms of Service, Privacy, and Branding
This list does not represent all the uses of Github for an API, but the approaches I've seen used by open API providers. Not all APIs are created or managed equally and these approaches to using Github can be applied in many different ways, even within private platforms.
Github is about social coding and file versioning, an approach that offers huge benefits to API management practices. You want all aspects of your API operations to be social and versioned allowing it to evolve over time--Github handles this like no other platform.
Consider Github as the core of your API operations and think about which of these eleven approaches you can use to make sure your API is as successful possible.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- There Are Four API Design Editors To Choose From Now
- Sales, Onboarding And Support In A Self-Service API World
- An API For Developers To Access Their API Account Information
- My Continued Support As Signer Of Oracle v Google Amicus Brief From EFF
- Join Me Tomorrow For A Panel Discussion On API Ecosystems At SF MusicTech
- I Will Review Your API On API Evangelist if You Add An APIs.json File Plus A Machine Readable API Definition
- Hey, Why Isn't This (API) Free
- Resource Base API Monetization vs. Experience Based API Monetization
- Tracking On The Red Flags For API Monetization
- Project Idea: Codenvy-Like Containerized Spreadsheets