Posted on 06-08-2013
There are plenty of tools and services you can use to manage your API and its developer community. But there is no platform that provides as much benefit and versatility as Github.
Github is a social coding platform that developers have grown to love and respect. With a high level of adoption by developers, and the versatility of the features available on Github, API providers have developed many innovative ways to use the platform to manage an API.
I have documented eleven approaches to using Github for API management to date:
- Design and Code
- Software development kits (SDK)
- Code Samples (Gists)
- Developer Authentication
- Developer Profiling
- Presentations and Guides
- Issue Management
- Terms of Service, Privacy, and Branding
This list does not represent all the uses of Github for an API, but the approaches I've seen used by open API providers. Not all APIs are created or managed equally and these approaches to using Github can be applied in many different ways, even within private platforms.
Github is about social coding and file versioning, an approach that offers huge benefits to API management practices. You want all aspects of your API operations to be social and versioned allowing it to evolve over time--Github handles this like no other platform.
Consider Github as the core of your API operations and think about which of these eleven approaches you can use to make sure your API is as successful possible.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems