Posted on 12-19-2012
I'm working on a new trends section of API Evangelist. One area i'm tracking on is the opportunities around 3D printing and APIs.
I did some fun research, and laid down some interest thoughts on APIs and 3D printing in 2011. This was part of some research I was doing while working at Mimeo.
As I do with all my research, I blog along the way, to help me learn and organize my thoughts. With this trends research into 3D printing, I am working to understand the major components of 3D printing so I can see where APIs are can have the biggest impact.
I've identified 10 major components of 3D printing:
- Creators - 3D designers of virtual print objects
- Scanners - Scanning hardware for generating 3D models
- Modeling Software - Applications for building 3D models
- File Formats - File formats for storing 3D models
- Warehousing - Virtual storage for 3D models
- Marketplaces - Arenas for showcasing, distributing and ordering 3D products
- Printers - Companies and hardware that deliver 3D printing
- Process & Materials - The process and materials that go into 3D printing
- Makers - The people who understand 3D printers, process, materials and industries
- Delivery - Logistics behind getting 3D printed products to consumers
Of course this is just my perspective of the industry and can evolve as I learn more, and collaborate with other industry players.
This series was just to help me understand the major components, and I will do another series on how APIs can impact these areas. I also have a summary post on ProgrammableWeb.com about the role of APIs in 3D printing.
3D Printing is something I will be talking about a lot in 2013. I think all of these areas I laid out have the potential to be radically transformed by APIs. I will be taking my original research on 3D printing from 2011 and see where I can evolve it based upon what is going on in the 3D printing space in 2013.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs
- Applying APIs.json To API Discovery In The Federal Government
- The Power In API Discovery For APIs.json Will Be In The API URL Type
- Fixing The Machine Readability in API Commons
- Evolving How We Approach The API Lifecycle With APIMatic
- APIs Can Open Up Your Company To Outside Ideas
- APIs Are Often Just A Facade That Is Covering Up The Legacy View Of World
- A Mobile Developer Toolkit With The University Of Michigan APIs
- Kicking Off Image Manipulation API Work