Posted on 12-19-2012
I'm working on a new trends section of API Evangelist. One area i'm tracking on is the opportunities around 3D printing and APIs.
I did some fun research, and laid down some interest thoughts on APIs and 3D printing in 2011. This was part of some research I was doing while working at Mimeo.
As I do with all my research, I blog along the way, to help me learn and organize my thoughts. With this trends research into 3D printing, I am working to understand the major components of 3D printing so I can see where APIs are can have the biggest impact.
I've identified 10 major components of 3D printing:
- Creators - 3D designers of virtual print objects
- Scanners - Scanning hardware for generating 3D models
- Modeling Software - Applications for building 3D models
- File Formats - File formats for storing 3D models
- Warehousing - Virtual storage for 3D models
- Marketplaces - Arenas for showcasing, distributing and ordering 3D products
- Printers - Companies and hardware that deliver 3D printing
- Process & Materials - The process and materials that go into 3D printing
- Makers - The people who understand 3D printers, process, materials and industries
- Delivery - Logistics behind getting 3D printed products to consumers
Of course this is just my perspective of the industry and can evolve as I learn more, and collaborate with other industry players.
This series was just to help me understand the major components, and I will do another series on how APIs can impact these areas. I also have a summary post on ProgrammableWeb.com about the role of APIs in 3D printing.
3D Printing is something I will be talking about a lot in 2013. I think all of these areas I laid out have the potential to be radically transformed by APIs. I will be taking my original research on 3D printing from 2011 and see where I can evolve it based upon what is going on in the 3D printing space in 2013.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet